Tuesday, May 13, 2014

Game of Thrones Dinner Party - multiple recipes

A few weeks ago, I helped serve a Game of Thrones Dinner Party....just for fun.

The menu consisted of :
Honey Balsamic Chicken Legs - made by me
PopOvers - brought by a guest
Steamed Veggies - made by me
Multiple cheeses and wines - brought by guests
Elizabethan Honeycakes - made by me

I am going to give you a quick run down of the items I prepared for the feast. (Chicken and Honeycakes found via Pinterest)

Honey Balsamic Chicken

For this recipe I used chicken legs.  I always find it harder to cook meat on the bone, so I made the honey balsamic into a glaze and marinated the legs for a few hours.  I then baked the chicken legs at 375 degrees for 45 minutes.  When the chicken was done, I placed the legs (joint bone up) in a crock pot on medium and poured more of the honey balsamic glaze over them to continue cooking until it was time for the party.

Elizabethan Honeycakes

Now, I don't bake breads because for some reason I can't quite get it right, but I was willing to give this a try and though it wasn't perfect...it was fairly easy and super delicious.

Start by warming 1 bottle of ale ( I used a  Black Butte Porter by Deschutes Brewery).  I placed the beer in a microwave safe bowl and heated for about 45 seconds.  Then add one package of yeast, stir and set aside to froth.

The recipe says to grind sugar and almonds in a food processor.  I have almond flour on hand from making macaroons, so I just sifted my almond flour and sugar and added to the flour and salt.  Mix all dry ingredients together and make a well.  Pour your yeast/ale mixture into the well and slowly stir continuing to add dry ingredients into your mixture until all dry ingredients are combined.  My dough was super sticky.


I covered my bowl and left on top of the oven to rise, as I was cooking chicken and it was nice and warm.  Let rise until the dough has doubled in size, then knock it down and knead a few minutes before shaping buns.   Rather than shaping buns, I used my Muffin Pan.


 Let the buns rise for another 15 minutes
 and then bake for 10-20 minutes at 375 degrees, until slightly golden.



When buns are done, use a small paring knife to cut little holes in the top of the cakes, be careful not to cut all the way through the bottom of the cakes.  Drizzle honey into each hole, filling the space.  Let set so honey can soak in and continue to fill holes with honey multiple times to make sure your cakes are saturated. Sprinkle with a little powdered sugar for a fancy look and serve.








Steamed/Cooked Veggies:  This is not a recipe, just what I do for quick tasty veggies when it isn't grilling season.

In my Deep Covered Baker, I slice 1 small bag of baby red potatoes, 1 small bag of yukon gold potatoes, 1 red pepper, 6 cloves garlic, 1 onion, a package of mushrooms.....or any combination of veggies you prefer.  Drizzle with a little olive oil and a seasoning of choice, I prefer Chipotle.



Cover baker and place in microwave for 20 minutes!  PRESTO!  perfect potato and veggie mix :)





There you go!  3 recipes (and believe it or not...that isn't all I cooked that day!)

~Happy Husband Approved~

The honeycakes were ~Ginger Princess Approved~


No comments:

Post a Comment