Tuesday, May 13, 2014

Cauliflower Crust Pizza - My life is forever changed :)

I had heard stories of pizza being made with a cauliflower crust....my first thought was, THIS HAS GOT TO BE TERRIBLY DIFFICULT!!  The time couldn't be worth the result, I mean it is a veggie as a crust ?!

I looked into it, read multiple recipes, asked some other healthy eaters for their opinions and/or advice and after all that, decided I couldn't be judgmental if I didn't try it for myself.

This is the recipe I used as my guide:  Cauliflower Pizza Crust  via Pinterest


You have to start with "riced" cauliflower....to get "riced" cauliflower you will need to cut the florets off the head of cauliflower and food process until it looks similar to rice.....yep, "until it looks right" - my favorite recipe mantra.


Does it look like rice to you?


Then place the riced cauliflower in a microwave safe bowl and microwave for 5-8 minutes...DO NOT ADD WATER!!

1 head of cauliflower will produce about 3 cups of riced cauliflower.  I don't believe in waste, so I tripled the recipe and baked on a cookie sheet (makes about 15 slices)

Preheat your oven to 450 degrees.

Spray your cookie sheet with a non-stick spray

Combine your cauliflower, egg and cheese (dependent on the size batch you are making...I tripled mine)  Also add your Italian or other seasonings at this time.  It will be the consistency like meatloaf oddly.



Spread onto your pan...for a single recipe, spread in a small circle on your pan.  For a tripled recipe spread across your entire pan.  Softly patting the mixture into place.

Bake the cauliflower crust for 15-20 minutes, until golden and you do not see any wetness left.


At this point you can top as you wish.  We used spicy Italian sausage, basil and mushrooms along with a combination of our left over mozzarella and Parmesan cheeses.



Place under Broiler until cheese is melted and bubbly.




You get a nice thin crust and a delicious pizza!

~Happy Husband Approved~
~Ginger Princess Approved~

**Warning...this is delicious!  HOWEVER....yes there are less starchy carbs, but the high amount of cheese really only reduces calories by about 50 from a regular slice of pizza, as cheese has a high fat content.  STILL FREAKING DELICIOUS :)

No comments:

Post a Comment